While the construction of Khilwat Mubarak was underway from 1912 – 1916, a collection of buildings and mahals were built earlier in the 18th and the 19th century within the Chowmahalla complex namely, Roshan Bangla, Saman Bangla, Council Hall, Bara Imam and Shishe-Alat, as well as the buildings of the Chau Mahalla Complex.
The Bara Imam and the Shishe-Alat were built in a later-Mughal style, ‘an Oriental version of Indo-Saracenic arches and Mughal towers and pre-dominated turrets.’ – The Royal Palaces of the Nizams, Dr. M.A. Nayeem
What is now known as Roshan Bangla was once the birthplace of the 6th Nizam. A little-known story goes that it was after his birth that a new palace was built on the site, and named after his beautiful mother, Roshan Begum.
Back in those days, the entrance for visitors was the Shahi Julu Khana gateway. A smooth walkway led the way to Khilwat from the entrance. However, this was the second entry point. The first point is a gateway called the Shahi Julu Khana, near the area of Laad Bazaar, a popular shopping destination near Charminar.
An unidentified Lord had once visited the Nizam at Chowmahalla, making his way through the gullies of Charminar. Citizens of the area began to call the lane he walked through as Lord’s Bazaar, and the name has been turned and twisted around for decades to now make Laad Bazaar.
For distinguished Viceroys and other dignitaries, there existed a separate entrance which led directly to Khilwat Mubarak. No one, not even esteemed guests, were granted access to the entire palace. The privacy of the residents of the palace were of primary importance, and the Nizams ensured this by creating pathways which would shield the visitor’s view from private spaces.